StoreAge and KOM Partner For Storage Lifecycle Management
Enterprise SAN storage management software manufacturer StoreAge, and data management software company KOM NETWORKS today announced a partnership agreement to deliver policy-based storage management solutions that operate across virtually all storage platforms.
Combined, the two companies say they will enable customers to strategically and automatically manage the cradle-to-grave lifecycle of their critical information while optimizing the performance and utilization of their storage resources.
StoreAge and KOM NETWORKS have integrated the volume management and storage management capabilities of StoreAge's SVM (Storage Virtualization Manager) with the data lifecycle management technology of KOM NETWORKS' KOMWORX. The combined solution allows SAN-wide storage provisioning, network-wide load balancing, seamless data migration between heterogeneous storage devices, data replication for business continuance, and centralized management of all SAN storage resources. Several key business advantages offered by the combined solution include:
- On-the-fly capacity provisioning, which enables storage resources to be dynamically allocated to applications and servers in response to changing business requirements.
- Automatic, policy-driven data migration between primary and secondary storage devices based on activity level. As data ages and is less frequently accessed, user-defined policies can relocate specified data to less expensive secondary and tertiary storage devices, permitting more efficient use of available capacity on primary storage devices.
- Improved performance via network-wide automated load balancing. Balancing data storage loads among available storage resources reduces the likelihood of over-subscribing to any particular resource, and prevents performance degradation of file systems as volume sizes grow.
- Enhanced data protection using snapshots and data copies, which allows rapid online recovery and rollbacks to previous point-in-time, and enables zero-downtime backup to occur "in the background" using copies of data while production applications remain online.
- Centralized, single-point-of-control across all SAN storage resources, which simplifies the management of networked storage environments.
"Most organizations tend to treat all their data equally, which means they often keep unnecessary data on their most expensive storage devices" said Steve Duplessie, Senior Analyst at Enterprise Storage Group. "By using a policy-driven approach to identify inactive data and migrate it to secondary storage devices, customers can reduce costs while making better use of their existing resources."
"Customers are actively seeking ways to simplify their storage administration and to reduce the costs of enterprise storage infrastructures," said Mark Spowart, President of StoreAge Networking Technologies Inc. "By integrating SVM with KOMWORX, we are providing our joint customers with proactive, automated solutions for managing their SANs."
"As organizations struggle to cope with growing volumes of data, they must develop strategies to effectively manage their storage while maximizing the utilization of these expensive assets," said Dr. Taher Shaath, CEO of KOM NETWORKS. "Together, KOMWORX and SVM will provide our customers with a solid, cost-effective storage solution for today and for the future."