As part of the post merger restructuring of the company’s product lines, Hewlett Packard has revealed a roadmap detailing, among other things, how the storage element of the combined business will look going forward.
Given that both the original HP and Compaq were prominent players in the storage field, the new HP has been able to ‘cherry pick’ products from the product lines of two leading storage solution providers.
Key decisions outlined in the roadmap include :
* The Compaq StorageWorks brand will be renamed as HP StorageWorks.
* Both HP XP and Compaq StorageWorks EVA will continue to be offered for high end applications.
* Storage networking product lines will be consolidated with features and technologies becoming common across the product line.
* Tape backup product lines will be consolidated with the ‘best’ product selected from existing product lines. Format coverage will continue to include DLT, SDLT, AIT and Ultrium.
* Elements of Compaq storage management software will be integrated into the HP OpenView Storage Manager suite.
* Both SANLink and VersaStor will continue to be shipped with a view to the two products being merged at a future date.
The complete white paper is available online at