The best defragmentation tools enable you to easily handle disk fragmentation, which is a common occurrence in Windows-based operating systems that can impact both workstations and servers alike.
At the most basic level, fragmentation is a result of discontinuous application or file system storage, where different parts of a given application or file are not stored in a sequential set of storage blocks on a storage device. Fragmentation occurs for various reasons in an operating system, often as the system works to enable stable data writes.
While fragmentation is common, it can lead to slower data reads as well as sub-optical drive capacity and performance. The process of fixing fragmentation, known as defragmentation, can help with the issue. Microsoft Windows has its own built-in tools for defragmentation, but there is also an active market of third party defrag tools to help end users.
Tips for Selecting a Defragmentation Tool
There are several key criteria that users should consider when looking to select a defragmentation tool. Fundamentally, it's critically important that users choose the tool that is both efficient and relatively easy to use.https://o1.qnsr.com/log/p.gif?;n=203;c=204660761;s=10655;x=7936;f=201812281257540;u=j;z=TIMESTAMP;a=20400368;e=i
Deployment Target. Different tools can target different use cases, including workstations as well as server deployments.
SSD or HDD. Clearly, there are key differences between SSD vs HDD. Solid State Drives (SSDs) have somewhat different characteristics than traditional spinning disk Hard Disk Drives (HDDs). Choose a tool that matches the type of storage that is most commonly in use, either SSD or HDD.
Continuous Optimization. Most defragmentation tools can be run on demand, while some will also provide a form of continuous optimization that helps to minimize fragmentation in the first place.
In this Enterprise Storage Forum top products list, we spotlight the vendors that offer the top disk defragmentation tools.
- Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro
- Ccleaner Defraggler
- Condusiv Diskeeper
- Glarysoft Disk Speedup
- IObit Smart Defrag
- O&O Defrag
- Raxco PerfectDisk Pro
- Systweak Advanced Disk Speedup
- Defrag Vendor Comparison Chart
Value proposition for potential buyers: Disk Defrag Ultimate is a good option for end users and small companies looking to optimize storage space on HDDs within workstations.
- Configuration and customization is a strong suit, with multiple options for users to choose for how to optimize a drive layout. Options include optimizing by access time for the most frequently accessed files and by prefetch layout for accelerating application load times.
- Choosing the right defragmentation method and options can be confusing on their own, but the included defragmentation wizard provides a guided approach to getting the right configuration for a given use case.
- A specific algorithm is integrated into the offering to optimize SSD storage, so users don't need to buy a separate program for HDD and SSD.
- Simply defragging a drive will still potentially leave un-need files. As such, in addition to defragging, temporary files can also be removed by the program.
Value proposition for potential buyers: Defraggler is well positioned as one of the leading tools for home users and small workgroups. It benefits from a frequent set of updates that continuously improve the disk optimization and defragmentation capabilities.
- Defraggler is developed and distributed by CCleaner, which is a part of the Avast Group of Companies, which provide a number of different security and optimization tools for PCs.
- Provides customization options so users can specify which specific folder or types of files should be defragmented, which is especially helpful when dealing with larger storage devices.
- The Quick Defrag option provides a quick, though not comprehensive, defragmentation option to help users mildly optimize a fragmented drive, when they lack the time for a complete defragmentation job.
- Full interactive drive map shows a visual representation of a drive's fragmentation before defraggler runs so users can see what the actual status of a drive is, which is important as it can impact the decision on when or if defragmentation is needed.
- The Professional version of Defraggler adds automatic updates and premium support, in addition to the core defragmentation capabilities available in the freeware product.
Value proposition for potential buyers. Condusiv Diskeeper is an enterprise grade solution for improving server fragmentation, with solid capabilities for both HDD and SSDs. It is well suited for larger deployments and servers, though it also has options for individuals and workgroups.
- Condusiv, formerly known as Diskeeper, positions itself a a leader in in I/O reduction software, which includes Diskeeper as well as V-locity, which is targeted at I/O reduction in virtual environments.
- Diskeeper has a server edition that is purpose-built for server deployments that uses a technique known as DRAM caching to optimize storage in a different way than traditional defragmentation tools.
- Rather than constantly defragmenting files, the Diskeeper server engine aim to enable contiguous data writes to storage with a capability that Condusiv calls IntelliWrite.
- Reporting is particularly strong in the product, with a dashboard view that shows administrators how much time and benefit has been gained thanks to Diskeeper operations.
- Group administration across a network is also a key feature, especially for larger storage deployments.
Value proposition for potential buyers. Disk Speedup is a tool that is targeted at individuals and small workgroups, providing a good degree of customization for storage defragmentation tasks.
- The Disk Speedup tool is a free download and is also available with commercial support alongside additional tools in the Glary Utilities Pro solution.
- Optimization settings allow for different user configurable parameters, such as placing less frequently used files on a slower part of an HDD.
- A key feature is the boot time defrag option that can be enabled to optimize key Windows system files as the system is starting up.
- Another notable feature is Disk Speedup's ability to defragment multiple attached storage drives simultaneously
- Also of note for users in a hurry, is that Disk SpeedUp includes a full optimization option as well as a basic option that will finish faster, but will not end up speeding up storage as much.
Value proposition for potential buyers. Smart Defrag is a good option for individuals or small groups looking for low cost solution to improve storage performance via defragmentation.
- Smart Defrag is one of several tools available from IObit which include Advanced SystemCare and Driver Booster.
- One of the more unique attributes of Smart Defrag is the application's smart defrag features which can be used to specifically optimized the performance for a given type of application.
- The recently updated Defrag engine in Smart Defrag runs faster than prior versions, thanks to enhanced support for multi-threading operations.
- Monitoring of overall disk health and status is an integrated capability of Smart Defrag.
Value proposition for potential buyers. O&O Defrag is an excellent choice for mid-sized to large organizations looking for a defrag solution that works on both SSDs and HDDs, for both workstations and servers.
- O&O has developed its own proprietary technology called SOLID for improving defrag specifically on SSDs. It's a big deal since so many defrag tools have not been purpose built or even optimized for SSDs and still target HDDs.
- The scheduling capability is also noteworthy as it can be configured to only run when certain programs are not running.
- The ClusterView capability provides a detail file and folder layout view that gives more insight into what is going on.
- Full auditing and logging is another core element of the platform, enabling administrators to know exactly what the application activity was for defragmentation.
Value proposition for potential buyers. PerfectDisk Pro is a bit different than its peers in that it offers the promise of pro-active disk defragmentation. It's a great choice for organizations of any size looking for a feature rich defragmentation solution.
- PerfectDisk's OptiWrite technology is an innovative feature that can detect when Windows will fragment a file and will proactively adjust the write to limit fragmentation, while still preserving system performance.
- Going beyond proactive defragmentation, the SMARTPlacement capability can be really helpful for users to more intelligently organize and place data on a storage devices that optimizes performance with as little fragmentation as possible.
- The solution has a very specific and somewhat unique capability for SSDs called SSD Optimize, which doesn't actually focus on defragmentation, but rather on free space optimization.
- PerfectDisk integrates with a storage devices' Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T) capabilities for monitoring.
Value proposition for potential buyers. Disk Speedup is a good choice for users that aren't just concerned about defragmentation, but also about improving the overall state of disk drive performance.
- Disk Speedup is one of several Windows optimization tools from Systweak including Advanced System Optimizer and Disk Analyzer pro that together can help to improve stability and overall system performance.
- The integrated 'Disk Doctor' capability is able to fix bad sector on a drive to help improve the overall state of storage.
- Duplicate file removal is another particularly useful capability that Disk Speedup includes that goes beyond what disk defragmentation alone provides.
- A key benefit is that Disk Speedup can work even on drives that have little remaining open storage, which can be a real challenge in some case.
Auslogics Disk Defrag Ultimate
Strong set of defrag customization options.
Ultimate edition starts at $29.95
Widely used tool that provides an interactive drive map of fragmentation status
Professional - $24.95
Enterprise grade server defrag
IntelliWrite feature enables files to be written without fragmentation
Home edition start at $49.95 Server edition starts at $525
Glarysoft Disk Speedup
Boot time defrag and disk optimization
Utilities Pro - $39.95
IObit Smart Defrag
Application specific defrag options
Pro Edition $19.99
Enterprise grade server defrag
Full auditing and logging capabilities for server and workstation defragmentation
Professional edition for 1 PC starts at $29.95
Workstation starts at $39
Server Edition at $199
Raxco PerfectDisk Pro
OptiWrite proactive data write help to prevent data fragmenation
Pricing starts at $29.99
Systweak Advanced Disk Speedup
Integrated Disk Doctor detects and fixes bad disk sectors.
Pro Edition - $39.95