Santa Clara, California-based Hitachi Vantara is an IT company with several products in the data management and storage markets.
Operating in over 100 countries with over 5,000 employees, Hitachi Vantara says it serves over 80% of Fortune “100” companies.
The company offers various other technical products, ranging from data analytics, cloud computing, and the Internet of Things (IoT).
See below to learn all about Hitachi Vantara Lumada Data Optimizer for Hadoop, the company’s intelligent data tiering software:
The global data management market, including intelligent data tiering, for enterprises was valued at $72.80 billion in 2020. It’s expected to reach $189.74 billion in 2027 thanks to a 14.66% compound annual growth rate (CAGR).
Hitachi Vantara Lumada Data Optimizer key features
Lumada Data Optimizer for Hadoop is an intelligent data tiering software designed for users to enjoy a seamless data access experience, while saving cost and improving efficiency with Hadoop optimization for object storage. These are some of its main features:
- Policy-based tiering of aged data from Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) to Simple Storage Service (S3) storage to reduce Hadoop costs
- Seamless and secure data access with no app changes needed
- Improved resource utilization at a petabyte scale
- Intelligent data tiering based on various criteria, including age
- Decoupled storage and computing to independently scale Hadoop and storage resources
Hitachi Vantara Lumada Data Optimizer key benefits
There are many benefits to using Lumada Data Optimizer for Hadoop in business operations and data processing:
- Cost efficiency in software and hardware costs
- Built-in scalability
- Flexibility with structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data
- Fast Hadoop deployment, data access, and data management
- High fault tolerance with multiple file block copies stored into different nodes
- High throughput with parallel data processing in clusters
- Minimal network traffic with sub-tasking
Hitachi Vantara Lumada Data Optimizer use cases
The Lumada line, including Lumada Data Optimizer, is flexible software that’s able to meet a company’s needs where they’re at and elevate them toward the desired outcome:
Logitech International is a Swiss developer and designer of personal peripherals and software to help customers enjoy the digital world.
As a forward-thinking company, Logitech needed a way to extend its systems into the future, determine requirements for the upcoming decade, and enable its IT department to stay on track with business growth.
Using Lumada products for data integration and analytics from Hitachi Vantara, Logitech was able to build true Hadoop distribution and gain a proactive view of past trends and detect and resolve future issues.
“With monitoring from AWS and Pentaho, we get a lot more insight, so we can be proactive and fix issues before they become a problem,” says Steven Perreli-Minneti, principal architect at Logitech.
Brussels Airport is in the capital of Belgium and the 24th busiest airport in Europe, with over 26 million passengers going through it annually.
The airport struggled to find a cost-efficient business intelligence (BI) solution to replace its aging data management tools. It needed a replacement for both its Oracle reporting as well as an IBM Extraction Transformation and Load (ETL) tool.
Utilizing Pentaho for enterprises and Lumada Data Integration and Lumada Analytics, Brussels Airport was able to cut costs estimated at more than €350,000. Its new Hitachi Vantara solution also provided them with daily snapshots and consistent reporting from their data warehouses.
“The functionality that Pentaho gives over proprietary vendors provides huge cost savings,” says Eric Vanasch, ICT service manager at Brussels Airport.
AssetWorks is a provider of asset management solutions to facilitate better access to enterprise data as well as the ability to manipulate and share data.
AssetWorks’ existing BI solution was slow and labor intensive. It needed a system that was intuitive and valuable for all user types, from executives to technicians.
Using Hitachi Vantara’s Lumada and Pentaho products, AssetWorks was able to produce predictive analytics and data visualization. Additionally, its flexible infrastructure means it could support both software-as-a-service (SaaS) and on-premises deployments.
“The intuitive user interface was the main reason we decided to embed Pentaho into our AiM IQ product,” says Shawn Sande, director of product marketing at AssetWorks.
Hitachi Vantara Lumada Data Optimizer pros
Lumada Data Optimizer for Hadoop has several pros, according to some users at review sites:
- Built-in integration with a wide variety of data sources
- Up-to-date and extensive documentation
- Data management available for on-premises and cloud environments
- No setup fee
- Simple and clean user interface
- Built-in integration with big data
- Easy to use and interactive analysis reports
- Fast and easy software installation and rollout
- Extensive data visualization and charting tools
- Tool customization available
- Creates simple jobs and transformations
Hitachi Vantara Lumada Data Optimizer cons
Some users of Lumada Data Optimizer for Hadoop report cons at review sites:
- The web version is limited to the server component
- Web services version is hard to operate
- Software initial configuration is time consuming and complicated for beginner users
- Lack of configuration wizard
- Doesn’t support auto-generated analytics visualizations and models
- Hard to integrate with other servers
- Heavy to install
- Initial learning curve can be challenging
- Schema workbench is tricky to develop with
- Built-in report designer is buggy on Windows 7
Hitachi Vantara Lumada Data Optimizer ratings
Lumada Data Optimizer for Hadoop receives consistently high ratings from users on review sites:
- TrustRadius: 8.7 out of 10
- Gartner Peer Ingishts: 4.1 out of 5
- Capterra: 4 out of 5
- PeerSpot: 3.9 out of 5
Hitachi Vantara Lumada Data Optimizer cost
Hitachi Vantara Lumada Data Optimizer’s pricing model isn’t static. It depends primarily on your needs and goals. By tiering your less frequently accessed data to Hitachi Content Platform, you can save up to 80% on the total cost of ownership.
Hitachi Vantara has an online calculator to help you estimate your Hadoop cost savings: by inputting your existing Hadoop cluster capacity in terabytes, your Hadoop growth goals, and whether you’re looking for a three- or five-year investment.
The custom calculator will produce your estimated net savings value and approximate net saving percentage based on your inputs. You can also request access to a detailed savings report by Hitachi Vantara.