Hitachi Vantara is an IT company based in Santa Clara, California that’s focused on digital infrastructure, data management, and analytics.
Operating in over 100 countries, Hitachi Vantara employs over 5,000 employees that it says serve over 80% of Fortune “100” companies.
Hitachi Vantara offers many IT products services, such as in cloud computing, the Internet of Things (IoT), and data storage.
See below to learn all about where Hitachi Vantara stands in the storage management market in particular:
Hitachi Vantara portfolio
Hitachi Vantara’s software-defined storage (SDS) is a virtual storage solution that aims to reduce the complexity of data storage by providing enterprise-class storage and maximizing efficiency.
- Reliable with operating system running on x86 servers
- Supports and accelerates distributed apps
- Integrated data migration and management
- Built-in artificial intelligence (AI) for data management across the cluster
Hitachi Vantara Lumada DataOps Suite
Lumada Data Integration
Lumada Data Integration allows you to build and deploy data pipelines at scale. It automatically integrates data lakes, data warehouses, and devices across all your environments.
- Drag-and-drop interface
- Pre-made data flow templates
- Flexible architecture that can be run anywhere
- Built-in data analytics integration
- Operationalize Python, R, Scala, and Weka ML models
Lumada Data Catalog
Lumada Data Catalog speeds up metadata discovery and data categorization for analytics. It’s able to automatically detect, tag, and secure sensitive data to evolving security and privacy regulations.
- Generates fast, accurate, and actionable insights
- Provides full visibility into databases
- Built-in compliance to govern sensitive data
Lumada Data Optimizer for Hadoop
Lumada Data Optimizer for Hadoop is an AI-powered data tiering solution that enables seamless access to Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) using object storage.
- Reduces the costs of using Hadoop
- Transparent and seamless data tiering and access
- Minimal software footprint
Lumada Edge Intelligence
Lumada Edge Intelligence provides real-time, actionable insights for critical operating locations. It drastically reduces organizations’ reaction time to critical events and minimizes costs and losses.
- Reduces response time with real-time insights and machine learning (ML)
- Ensure sustainable Internet of Things (IoT) deployments
- Reduces data management costs
- Highly flexible and customizable
- Fast data handling and 5G support
Hitachi Vantara’s Lumada Analytics democratizes access to powerful analytics and data visualization tools. It’s a self-service analytics tool that requires little to no IT dependency.
- Built-in security with content permissions
- Drag-and-drop web-based dashboard
- Easy and interactive data visualization
- Elevated data integrity
- Flexible open-source base
Hitachi Vantara object storage
Hitachi Content Platform
Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) is a platform that simplifies data control on a scale and provides seamless response to app demands.
- Advanced metadata intelligence and features to boost performance
- Policy-based governance and compliance
- Works at a scale from terabytes to exabytes
- Built-in multicloud support
Hitachi Content Intelligence
Hitachi Content Intelligence is a framework that aids in the discovery and transformation of data by revealing insights and boosting productivity.
- Scalable and flexible architecture
- Self-service model
- Built-in workflow for data analysis, transformation, indexing, and searching
- Centralized hub for all data security and compliance management
It works on-premises, off-premises, and in the cloud with both structured and unstructured data.
Hitachi Content Platform Gateway
Hitachi Content Platform Gateway is a way to simplify and extend the cloud and file service. It utilizes elastic, scalable, backup-free, cloud storage gateways to increase efficiency and reduce storage costs.
- Built-in support for server message block (SMB) and network file system (NFS) files
- A native Microsoft Windows user experience
- Manages edge sites from core to data center
- Includes remote office data in governance policies
Hitachi Content Platform S Series
Hitachi Content Platform S Series is a cost-efficient data storage and protection solution that’s scaled to exabytes. It allows you to define your own HCP service plan and automate the data movement to local storage or the cloud.
- Automated data integrity checking
- Web-based interface
- High density with a minimal digital footprint
- Flexible configuration options
- Unlimited object count and scalability
Hitachi Vantara partners
The Hitachi Vantara Partner Program is built around four core business goals: create, manage, deliver, and resell.
The partnership program aims to grant members access to predictable, profitable, and pioneering solutions to help guide customers toward the future.
A few notable Hitachi Vantara partners in the data and storage management solutions in the U.S. include:
- AVT Technology Solutions
- Sayers Technology
- Consiliant Technologies
- Pivot Technology Services
- HP Energy
- Parallel Technologies
Hitachi Vantara storage management use case
One client that benefited from Hitachi Vantara’s storage management services was the Australian consumer electronics retail company Bing Lee.
Bing Less invested in a cloud-based enterprise resource planning (ERP) system and developed its own point-of-sale (POS) system to give its customers reliable products and services.
But when the pandemic hit and Bing Lee’s sales and the number of regular transactions grew uncontrollable, Bing Lee hired Hitachi Vantara to help.
Using Hitachi Vantara’s Lumada DataOps Suite, Pentaho Data Integration as the main engine for their data management and orchestration, Bing Lee was able to reduce their data processing time by 75% and substantially improve the stability of their sales platform.
“We will have a stable environment with more reliable data,” says Rebecca Main, project manager at Bing Lee.
“This will result in fewer issues for our report users. When we do have an issue, recovery time is only a quarter of what it used to be.”
User reviews of Hitachi Vantara storage management
Hitachi Vantara’s storage management products receive consistently positive reviews and high ratings by users on review sites.
- G2: 4 out of 5
- Gartner Peer Insights: 4.6 out of 5
- Capterra: 4.3 out of 5
- PeerSpot: 4.3 out of 5
A few users on G2 report a lack of an online support community and the initial challenges of product setup.
Industry recognition of Hitachi Vantara storage management
Hitachi Vantara was named one of “The Top 10 Coolest Industrial IoT Companies” by CRN in 2020. The year before, CRN also named Hitachi Vantara one of “The Coolest Big Data System and Platform Vendors.”
Hitachi Vantara’s Lumada Maintenance Insights won the IoT Edge Computing Excellence Award by IoT Evolution World Magazine in 2018.
Hitachi Vantara in the storage management market
In the storage market in 2021, Hitachi Vantara ranked No. 5 with 4.9% of the market share. The company with the largest market share of the storage market was Dell Technologies at 26.8%, followed by Hewlett Packard Enterprise at No. 2 with 10%. NetApp ranked No. 3 with 9.9%, and Huawei ranked No. 4 with 8.9%.