Houston, Texas-based Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) is a leader in enterprise technology and an edge-to-cloud service provider that helps companies connect, analyze, and protect their data, including through its HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric software.
See below for an in-depth product review of the capabilities and pros and cons of HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric:
HPE and the Data Fabric Market
The data fabric market is a collection of products and services of data architecture that standardizes data management practices and policies across the cloud, on-premises, and edge devices.
As of 2018, the market was valued at $812.6 million and is expected to grow to $4.5 billion by 2026 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) rate of 23.8%.
The top vendors in the data fabric and warehousing market that compete with HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric include:
- Snowflake with 17.52% market share
- SAP with 13.30% market share
- Apache Hive with 9.45% market share
- Amazon Redshift with 3.39% market share
- IBM Netezza Data Warehouse Appliances with 6.09% market share
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric key features
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric provides cloud-native analytics and data lakes and warehouses that are an all-in-one solution for companies with data-intensive workloads.
- Provides an enterprise-grade platform to deploy Kubernetes at scale
- Edge-to-cloud synchronization of objects, streams, files, and databases into a centralized data repository
- Consistent data storage performance optimization for analytics workloads
- Policy-driven mirror, snapshot, and data replication
- Automatic data tiering
- Edge-to-cloud hybrid analytics
- Built-in support for external business intelligence (BI) apps for analytics
- Enterprise-grade Spark for dynamic scaling, reliability, access control, and user identity authentication
- Seamless and fast machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI)/machine learning (ML) project deployment
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric key benefits
HPE claims there are several metric-based benefits to using HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric data fabric in terms of costs and efficiency:
- 57% reduced costs for data analytics
- 30% higher productivity for analytics teams
- 52% less time per query
Universal data access
- Simplified data management with native network file system (NFS), Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), Simple Storage Service (S3), or Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX)
- Direct access to data regardless of locality
- Broad API support for legacy apps, AI apps, and analytics
- Batch and real-time analytics support using a unified data analytics infrastructure
- Thousands of nodes, trillions of objects, and exabytes of data stored transparently
- Automated and secure data replication, mirroring, and snapshots
- Consistent data sovereignty and security on-premises and in the cloud
- Reduced manual data moving by storing and analyzing data at the edge
- Intelligent data placement optimized for cost and performance
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric use cases
Since HPE released HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric in the summer of 2020, it has helped solve the data management and warehousing challenges of companies in various industries.
New Work SE
New Work SE is a professional networking service company that grew beyond traditional network file system (NFS) solutions. It needed something that keeps up with the company’s goals of flexibility, performance, and cost efficiency.
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric allowed New Work SE to sustain business growth with quick data exploration and analysis. It was able to run multiple use cases on a single cluster, instead of having to rely on a separate cluster for every situation.
“We need a stable, massively scalable, and easy-to-manage environment for keeping huge amounts of raw data accessible for analytics,” says Eren Acka, senior business intelligence systems and DevOps engineer at New Work SE.
“Admin maintenance would usually take 20 to 30% of our team’s time; HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric reduces this to less than 10%.”
Outbrain is a web recommendation platform that brings relevant content to media audiences. As its business grew, Outbrain struggled to meet the rising market demand.
It needed to refine its data algorithms, as its current system was no longer able to scale and maintain performance requirements. By choosing to use HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric, Outbrain addressed resiliency and performance.
Outbrain increased its data center capacity by 10–20% and was able to process 10 TB of data per day.
“When you’re working with cutting-edge technology, you are able to be innovative,” says Orit Yaron, VP of cloud platform at Outbrain.
“It impacts teamwork and effort helping us attract and retain the best talent.”
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric pros
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric has many pros for companies in various industries with different needs, as users report on various review sites, like TrustRadius and Gartner Peer Insights:
- No setup fee
- Easy trial server setup for product testing
- Performance enhancements when migrated to MapR Tables
- HDFS–NFS integration pioneer
- The MapR file system is easy to integrate with other Linux filesystems
- Robust file system
- Has potential to solve large table queries
- Easy to implement
- A support team of talented engineers
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric cons
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric has its fair share of cons that should be considered before committing to it.
According to review sites, here’s what some users find to be cons of using HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric:
- No free trial
- Little training materials and official documentation
- Ecosystem tools versions are sometimes released without proper quality assurance
- The UI isn’t user-friendly
- Gaps in security
- Lack of visualization tools
- Poor data monitoring tools
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric ratings
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric has mostly positive user reviews from its users at review sites.
HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric costs
Since it serves businesses at various points in their growth, HPE offers Ezmeral Data Fabric at varying rates, depending on data compute and storage usage.
For the Low Reserve option, HPE offers a compute unit reserved volume of 4,700 and a storage reserved volume of 96,000 GB. This is charged at $18.78 for compute unit and $0.1 per GB for data storage.
As HPE’s most popular offering, Balanced includes a computer unit reserved volume of 5,483 and a storage reserved volume of 112,000 GB. These are charged at a slightly lower rate of $16.58 for compute unit and $0.088 per GB for data storage.
For companies with large data processing needs, HPE Ezmeral Data Fabric is available in a High Reserve offering that’s most cost effective. The compute unit reserved volume is 6,266, and the storage reserved volume is 128,000 GB. These are charged at $15.02 for compute unit and $0.080 per GB for storage.