Tenable is a cyber exposure company based in Columbia, Maryland. It was founded in 2002 by co-founders Ron Gula, Jack Huffard, and Renaud Deraison with the vision to “empower all organizations to understand and reduce their cybersecurity risk.”
The Tenable platform uniquely provides the breadth of visibility into cybersecurity risk across the modern information technology (IT) attack surface, including operational technology (OT), Active Directory (AD), and cloud computing. The platform also provides in-depth analytics to communicate cybersecurity risk in business terms and to enable better strategic decisions.
See more: Trend Micro: Cybersecurity Portfolio Review
Tenable offers several key cybersecurity products, including:
- Tenable.ep is one of the most comprehensive risk-based vulnerability management solutions. It enables the user to reduce massive risk with the least effort and determine the cyber exposure of all of the assets every time, everywhere, and on every platform.
- Tenable.io helps to discover, access, and prioritize vulnerabilities. It is a complete end-to-end vulnerability management solution, enabling users to understand risks and know which vulnerabilities to fix first.
- Tenable Lumin is an advanced visualization, decision support, analytics, and measurement solution used to understand and reduce cyber exposure. With Lumin users can calculate, communicate, and compare their cyber exposure while managing risk.
- Tenable.cs is a developer-friendly, cloud-native application platform. It enables secure cloud resources, container images, and cloud assets, providing end-to-end security from code to cloud to workload. Tenable.cs also helps users establish and strengthen DevSecOps practices with the five key components of cloud security as code, including policy, governance, drift, security, and remediation.
- Tenable.io Web App Scanning provides simple, scalable, automated, comprehensive, and accurate vulnerability scanning for web applications. Users can create new scans in seconds and get actionable results in minutes. Tenable.io Web App Scanning helps gain full visibility of IT, cloud, and web application vulnerabilities in a single platform.
- Nessus Professional helps get full visibility into vulnerabilities and provides visibility, speed, and accuracy to protect organizations against unacceptable risk. It is a trustworthy vulnerability assessment solution, offering peace of mind in a constantly changing security world.
- Tenable.sc is a complete end-to-end vulnerability management solution that helps to get a risk-based view of IT, security, and compliance posture, so users can quickly identify, investigate, and prioritize critical assets and vulnerabilities. Tenable.sc suite products provide the industry’s most comprehensive vulnerability coverage with real-time continuous assessment of the network.
- Tenable.ad enables users to see everything, predict what matters, and act to address risk in AD to disrupt attack paths before attackers exploit them. Tenable.ad finds AD vulnerabilities and fixes them before attacks happen, and it detects and responds to AD attacks in real time.
- Tenable.ot protects networks from cybersecurity threats, malicious insiders, and human error. It comprehensively reduces OT cyber exposure. Tenable.ot also identiﬁes and protects OT environments from cyber exposure and threats and ensures operational safety and reliability.
- Tenable.io PCI ASV (Approved Scanning Vendor) streamlines the quarterly external vulnerability scan submission and dispute process as required by PCI 11.2.2. It can quickly prepare a compliant scan report for merchants and service providers. Tenable.io PCI ASV key features include Scan Templates, PCI ASV Workbench, and Content Reuse.
Tenable provides cybersecurity solutions within three categories:
- Tenable Business Needs Solutions include Application Security, Cloud Security, Compliance, IT/OT, Legacy versus Risk-based VM Comparison, Ransomware, Vulnerability Assessment, Vulnerability Management, and Zero Trust.
- Tenable Industry Solutions include Automotive Manufacturing, Building Management Systems, Energy, Finance, Healthcare, Medical Manufacturing, Oil & Gas, Retail, Transportation, Water, State/Local/Education, and U.S. Federal.
- Tenable Compliance Solutions include PCI, NERC CIP, FISMA, HIPAA, CyberScope, and NIS Directive.
Tenable is committed to collaborating with leading security technology ecosystems, distributors, and resellers worldwide. Tenable Assure includes an all-new certification program, expanded service choices, and a revamped partner portal.
The featured technology partners of Tenable are AWS, BeyondTrust, CyberArk, Google Cloud, HCL BigFix, IBM Security, Microsoft, ServiceNow, Siemens, and Splunk.
Worldwide, Tenable has collaborations and partnerships with many leading organizations, including Adaptive Shield, Analyst1. anecdotes.ai, Anomali, APCON. Apple, Centrify, BlackBerry, Cisco, Cyber Observer, CyberArk, CyberSaint, Cybersixgill, and many others.
Tenable Use Cases
For cyber exposure solutions worldwide, 40,000 customers rely on Tenable products and solutions, and 60% of The Fortune “500” use Tenable for their cybersecurity support.
- Sentara Healthcare is the largest health system in Virginia and is the fourth-largest employer and a multibillion-dollar business of the state. Tenable.sc and Tenable.io help Sentara Healthcare manage cyber exposure challenges with Predictive Prioritization.
- Global Payments AU/NZ is a division of Global Payments Inc. With Tenable.io, the cybersecurity team quickly gained full visibility across a complex attack surface, including web applications, evolving cloud environments, and traditional IT assets.
- City of Raleigh Municipal Government (North Carolina) needed full visibility, security, and control of changes made to programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and other devices in their OT environment. With Tenable.ot, they ensure the safety and sustainability of public water.
- “Thanks to Tenable.ot, I can spend less time on inventory management and more time on investigating and remediating actual threats and vulnerabilities.” –Steve Worley, SCADA security manager for the city of Raleigh
User Reviews of Tenable
Tenable has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5.0, 71% recommend to a friend, 94% approve of the CEO, and 69% have a positive business outlook, according to Glassdoor.
Tenable achieved an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5.0, According to G2 ratings.
Based on G2 product ratings:
- Tenable.sc 4.7 out of 5.0
- Tenable Nessus 4.4 out of 5.0
- Tenable.io 4.4 out of 5.0
- Tenable.io Container Security 4.4 out of 5.0
Based on Gartner product ratings:
- Tenable Nessus 4.4 out of 5.0
- Tenable.sc 4.6 out of 5.0
- Tenable.io 4.6 out of 5.0
- Tenable.ot 4.8 out of 5.0
- Tenable.ad 4.9 out of 5.0
- Tenable.io Web Application Scanning 4.0 out of 5.0
Industry Recognition of Tenable
Tenable achieved many awards in several categories from several reputed organizations.
Tenable was awarded four times by the Frost & Sullivan Best Practices Award in several categories from 2015 to 2022. As a top cybersecurity company, Tenable won many awards, including
- The Forrester Wave (2019, 2021)
- Cyber Security Excellence Award (Silver in 2019)
- The NVTC Capital Cyber Awards (2019)
- SC Magazine Awards (2015 Europe Winner)
- Iron Bow Cyber Security Partner of the Year (2014)
- Baltimore SmartCEO VOLT Award in Cyber Warrior (2012)
Tenable was awarded many times for being a top workplace, including:
- The Washington Post (including Top Leadership Award) (2014–2016, 2019–2021)
- Baltimore Sun (including Top Leadership Award) (2013–2017)
- Glassdoor (2016)
- Washingtonian (50 Greatest Places to Work 2015)
- Symplicity Top 25 Best Places to Work for Recent Grads (2017)
Tenable in the Cybersecurity Market
Tenable plays an important role in the vulnerability management market. Based on a report by IDC on the worldwide device vulnerability management market published in May 2020, Tenable was No. 1 in market share for 2019. The report shows that Tenable had a 27.6% market share from the total market of $1.6 billion in 2019.
In March 2022, the market capitalization of Tenable grew from $2.06 billion in 2018 to $5.79 billion, becoming the 2,123rd most valuable company in the world, according to CompaniesMarketCap.
See more: The Top Cybersecurity Companies