As enterprises move their applications to a virtual infrastructure, virtualization providers need personnel to develop and manage the virtual technology on which business solutions run.
Virtual infrastructure has become one of the baseline technologies for data centers and cloud computing environments. Virtualization is a broad category that includes both server virtualization and operating system (OS) virtualization or containerization.
See below to learn about enterprises hiring for roles related to server and container virtualization and positions that are open at these companies:
Top companies hiring for virtualization roles
Known for its virtualization and infrastructure solutions, VMware offers application platforms for data centers, clouds, and edge locations. Technology solutions at VMware include Tanzu, a platform for decoupling containers and microservices from infrastructure, and vSAN, which is storage virtualization software. VMware also partners with multiple public cloud providers, so candidates looking for experience with other cloud platforms may benefit from VMware’s wide range of partnerships.
Open positions at VMware tied to virtualization include:
- Senior systems software engineer, virtual machine monitor
- Staff systems software engineer, virtual machine monitor
- Network virtualization engineer
- Senior network virtualization engineer
- Senior staff engineer, VMware Cloud on AWS
- Senior site reliability engineer, Kubernetes
VMware receives 4.3 out of 5 stars from employee reviews at Glassdoor. Company benefits include:
- Health savings account (HSA) and flexible spending account (FSA) options
- 401(k) plan
- Lyra, a service for coaching, therapy, and work life services
- 100% reimbursement of eligible expenses for child adoption
- Discounted VMware stock purchases
Also read: VMware vSphere Review
Microsoft, one of the top cloud computing providers, has virtualization roles open in multiple office locations in the U.S., on both coasts. Microsoft’s hybrid work policy varies between team members — managers make the choice to approve individual work plans for employees if they want to work remotely more than 50% of the time.
Microsoft is known for its Azure cloud computing platform, which offers app building services, containers, and multiple tiers of cloud storage. Consider a job at Microsoft if you’re interested in a company with a wide range of ongoing technology innovation.
Virtualization roles currently open at Microsoft include:
- Principal HW IO virtualization architect
- Program manager, Azure Compute Virtual Machines
- Senior software development engineer (developing server components that run on virtual machines)
- Azure AKS support engineer
Senior software engineer, VM
Microsoft receives 4.4 out of 5 stars from employee ratings at Glassdoor. Company benefits include:
- Health savings account and flexible spending account
- Wellness reimbursements up to $1,200 a year
- 401(k) plan
- 10 days of paid sick leave, in addition to paid holidays and three weeks of PTO
- 20 weeks of paid parental leave for birth mothers and 12 paid weeks for all other parents
Also read: Microsoft Azure: Cloud Storage Portfolio Review
Nutanix is a cloud storage provider that specializes in cloud services and software-defined storage (SDS). Nutanix also has a hyperconverged infrastructur (HCI) platform, designed to run customer hybrid multicloud environments by bringing all clouds together.
Nutanix is currently hiring for multiple positions related to its Acropolis hypervisor (AHV). Consider applying for a job at Nutanix if you’re particularly interested in the product side of hypervisor and virtual machine (VM) technology.
Open roles at Nutanix related to virtualization include:
- Product manager, AHV virtualization
- Senior product marketing manager, AHV
- Virtualization software engineer
- Member of technical staff, AHV scheduler
Nutanix receives 4.1 out of 5 stars at Glassdoor. Nutanix benefits include:
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible spending account
- Grokker, a wellness program
- UHC medical plan and a health savings account
Also read: Best Server Virtualization Software
4. Red Hat
Red Hat is an open source provider of cloud computing and virtual environments. It’s known for OpenShift, a containerization platform for Linux containers and Kubernetes, and OpenStack, its cloud computing platform. Red Hat also offers Gluster Storage and Ceph Storage, two different enterprise software-defined storage solutions.
Red Hat has many international roles open in a variety of locations. Consider applying at Red Hat if you plan to move internationally near one of their office locations.
Open roles at Red Hat related to virtualization include:
- Manager, software engineering, virtualization
- Senior consultant, container infrastructure
- Container infrastructure architect
- OpenShift architect
Red Hat receives 4.4 out of 5 stars from employee reviews at Glassdoor. Employee benefits include:
- Quarterly bonus program
- Internal leadership development programs
- Opportunity to earn third-party certifications
Also read: Top Container Security Solutions
Citrix is a provider of cloud computing, digital workspace solutions, and secure access for enterprises. Products include Citrix Workspace for secure hybrid workplaces, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops; and Citrix Desktop as a Service (DaaS) for managed application delivery.
Citrix has some of the most engineering roles related to virtualization amog tech enterprises. Consider applying to a role at Citrix if you’re specifically interested in exploring virtualization as an engineer.
Open roles at Citrix related to virtualization include:
- Technical support engineer, virtualization
- Senior technical support engineer, virtualization
- Staff software engineer, virtualization group
- Junior software engineer, virtualization group
- Senior software engineer, virtualization development group
- Senior escalation engineer, cloud/virtualization
Citrix receives 3.8 out of 5 stars from employee reviews at Glassdoor. Employee benefits include:
- 401(k) plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Multiple virtual creative classes
- Maternity and paternity leave
Read next: The Virtualization Market