See the full list of top SDS vendors
Dell EMC offers a range of software defined storage (SDS) products to meet a wide variety of needs. Indeed, the sheer range of the Dell EMC solutions are one of their strengths: as companies grow and scale their SDS platforms, they can stay with Dell ECM if they choose to, given the vendor’s depth of offerings.
The IsilonSD Edge product is a good fit for small businesses or remote office/back office environments with limited or no IT staff. It requires little expertise to get it up and running. For those larger companies with a private cloud, the Elastic Cloud Storage product leverages the Dell EMC legacy strength in data centers and private cloud. The VxRail product, again for larger firms, is an integrated appliance that is a good option, particularly for buyers with VMware-based data centers – it’s known as a cost saver.
Dell EMC offers three different lines of software-defined storage: VxRail, IsilonSD Edge and Elastic Cloud Storage (ECS).
- VxRail is a hyperconverged system with software-defined storage that is designed for Vmware environments. It offers object storage only.
- IsilonSD Edge is scale-out NAS designed for file or HDFS storage, and it is best for small businesses and remote and branch offices (ROBO).
- ECS combines object, file and HDFS storage at cloud scale.
Type of product:
Software-only, hyperconverged, appliance, managed cloud service or software and hardware together.
VxRail, IsilonSD Edge and ECS.
- combines Vmware vSAN and Dell EMC PowerEdge servers
- hyperconverged architecture
- deep integration with Vmware tools
- SmartFabric Services to simplify deployment
- single point of support for hardware and software
- reduces costs up to 52 percent
- scales up to 64 nodes
Elastic Cloud Storage (ECS)
- flexible deployment
- 7.8 PB capacity per rack
- enterprise-grade durability and availability
- global access
- native metadata search
- ideal for SMBs and remote offices
- up to 36 TB of capacity per node
- multiprotocol support
- high utilization of storage resources
- integration with Vmware ESX
- Isilon OneFS operating system
- data management
- data protection
- enhanced support
VxRail is designed for any Vmware customer in any industry. ECS is for enterprises with their own private clouds. IsilionSD Edge is for SMBs and ROBO deployments.
Christus Health, Washington University, NASA
Pricing and How to Buy
Quotes for VxRail systems and ECS are available on request through the Dell EMC website. ECS software is available for free for non-commercial use. Isilon SD Edge pricing starts at $24,450.
Dell EMC VxRail Select Features Chart
|Dell EMC VxRail|
|Type of Product||Hyperconverged appliance|
|Editions Available||● G Series
● E Series
● V Series
● P Series
● S Series
|Key features||● combines Vmware vSAN and Dell EMC PowerEdge servers
● hyperconverged architecture
● deep integration with Vmware tools
● SmartFabric Services to simplify deployment
● single point of support for hardware and software
● reduces costs up to 52 percent
● scales up to 64 nodes
|Target Industries||Any Vmware customer|
|Pricing||Quotes available on request|
Dell EMC VxRail Elastic Cloud Storage
|Dell EMC Elastic Cloud Storage|
|Type of Product||Software-only, appliance or managed cloud service|
|Editions Available||● EX300
|Key features||● flexible deployment
● 7.8 PB capacity per rack
● enterprise-grade durability and availability
● global access
● native metadata search
|Target Industries||Any enterprise with a private cloud|
|Pricing||Available on request|
Dell EMC VxRail Select Isilon Edge
|Dell EMC IsilonSD Edge|
|Type of Product||Software-only|
|Key features||● ideal for SMBs and remote offices
● up to 36 TB of capacity per node
● multiprotocol support
● high utilization of storage resources
● integration with Vmware ESX
● Isilon OneFS operating system
● data management
● data protection
● enhanced support
|Target Industries||SMBs and ROBOs|